Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Lentil Chili

As we enter into "Soup Season," as my family calls it... the cold rainy weather that we Washingtonians call spring, I thought I'd share with you some of my family's old time favorite soup recipes, and some new ones as well.

 To start out, I shall begin with a new one.  Now, PLEASE--I beg you--don't let the name fool you or gross you out.  I know that some of my siblings were repulsed by the name.  But I didn't allow that to get to me.  It smelled delicious and tasted it as well, so I just waited to see their reactions at dinner.  And boy were they surprised!! :)  A rule at our table is:  Don't complain about the food until you taste it, or you go without.  Some of us, though, tend to forget that rule. (But we don't always "go without."  Hmmm... guess we should stay on top of that.  I'll have to talk to those in charge about changing that. 

 Rinse 1 pound of lentils, drain fully.   Place rinsed lentils and 1 teaspoon salt in a large soup pot in 5 cups boiling water.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes--Do Not Drain!

Add 1 1/2 T chili powder, 1 garlic clove, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder),
1 medium chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped celery to soup pot.

 
Add one 16 oz can of crushed tomatoes, you can't really tell, because my little 
helper stirred it all in before I could snap a photo. :/ Sorry!

Add 2 tablespoons cumin and 1 tablespoon coriander.  Cover and 
simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.


 Serve over corn tortilla chips, or....

Crunch corn tortilla chips on top.  Either way, it is delicious!!!


The Recipe:

Lentil Chili
~MariahCameron~
1 lb. dry lentils
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups boiling water
16 oz can crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon coriander 
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Corn tortilla chips

Rinse lentils.
Add salt and lentils to boiling water in large soup pot.
Cover and simmer 30 minutes--DO NOT DRAIN.
Add tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, coriander, onion, celery, and garlic to the pot.
Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Serve over (or under) corn tortilla chips.

Yield:  12-14 servings


<3 MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment